Monday, October 2, 2023

Inktober, the preamble

When I started the graphic design program at Front Range, I was terrified of the two art classes that I had to take to earn the degree. It only made sense that I would have to take some art classes, after all, because not everything can be generated with software. Of course, the trends as they continue will make this thought obsolete. Enter AI generated art, I just don't know how I feel about it. On one hand, it's great because you can make a mockup very quickly, and go. On the other hand, it is AI. I suppose you can train AI to do things a certain way, but babysitting a computer was nothing that I had in mind. There is still something great about human generated art. If not the art itself, then the fact that someone took the time to learn to do it, practiced it.


When I took the intro to drawing class, I was nervous about it because I never felt like I had much in the way of artistic inclinations. I also know that art is subjective, and I know that there is a great deal of discipline in art. I was delighted by the class, and I have been drawing nearly daily since.


What I find when I draw is a peace of mind that is different from other practices that I have. When I draw, I don't care about the outcome as much as I care about how I feel. It's strange. I don't generally share my drawings, not even with my family. The exception to this, of course, is when I do a creative challenge with my friend Kimberly.


Kimberly has become somewhat of a character in these blog posts, poor thing. But, we have done a few of these challenges together, and it's fun to see what the other is doing or how to entertain each other. We did Inktober last year, the first year either one of us has done it. We did a second drawing challenge last January. This year, Inktober is our third drawing challenge.


My intent, is to draw with my micro pens and sharpies in my sketchbook.


No comments:

Post a Comment