Sunday, February 26, 2023

The February Creative Challenge: Watercolors with Kimberly

I admire my friend Kimberly. I think she's an inspired artist and I often aspire to be more like her. She has this uncanny knack of making little doodles into very cool pieces of art. She pays me compliments on the things that I'm doing, and just knowing how she feels about my work eases my insecurities a little.


We first did the Inktober challenge back in October. We did the prompts independently and then took a pic and sent it to the other. Inktober wanted us to post a pic of our work and post it to social media. We just posted it to the other. I got to know myself as an artist better during the challenge. I got to know her a little better too.


"Savory"

We decided to do a drawing challenge in January. That one was also fun. Since Inktober was just pen and ink, the January challenge offered a little more freedom so we used ink and pencil and colored pencils.



When we neared the end of January we opted to continue our challenge into February with a watercolor challenge. Having just come off of two private lessons with a watercolorist, I was ready.


I tried to keep within the allotted time, fifteen minutes daily, of the challenge. Some days I did well enough. Some days I didn't.


I learned a great deal about water color techniques. I learned about the paper and how paint and water interact with it. I learned about the different shapes, sizes and materials of paintbrushes.

Sci Fi

What I like best about watercolor is how fast I was able to transform a drawing. Yes, coming off of sixty days of drawing challenges, I really just continued my drawing into February. The painting aspect seemed to add an illustrated quality to it.



I am very pleased with the outcome of the challenge and I enjoyed the process.

Something You Wear

No comments:

Post a Comment