Monday, January 9, 2012

Daydreams and Supplemental Reading

In this endless world of the written word, I wonder how many characters it would take, how many words, sentences, long streams of stories to circle the globe? And furthermore, how many books it's going to take to quench this thirst? And when I think about being thirsty, I just want to sip iced tea at the pool's edge with a good book in my lap.
In this daydream, there is a small convertible car in the driveway. The windows of the house overlook the edge of the world. This is where I've chosen to build my library. Say, what kind of daydream is this anyway?
We're relaxed in the afternoon. Poolside, the weather's fine. And there are plenty of books to read, and plenty of time to do it.
I have other daydreams too, but they're not appropriate here.
Completely at random, I chose this new reading list:

An Artist of the Floating World Kazuo Ishiguro
Lady Chatterly's Lover D.H. Lawrence
Lolita Vladimir Nabokov
Logan's Run Nolan/Johnson
Leaves of Grass Walt Whitman
Travels Paul Bowles

For all the readers out there, yes, keep reading. You are never the same person, or the same thinker after completing a book as you were when you started. For all the writers out there, you are never the same writer after you completed reading a book as you were when you started. And for those of you who neither read or write, I wonder what your daydreams are like?

No comments:

Post a Comment