Sunday, March 19, 2023

The March Creative Challenge: Dérangé Désir, the preliminaries

It was no surprise coming off the February watercolor creative challenge that Kimberly and I would do another challenge for March. We looked at a few official challenges. Then we talked about something that both of us had started and that needed finishing. Kimberly had a illustrated book she's been working on for years. I had a mini comic idea with a few rough drawings. We decided that we would complete a story book.


I had made a few drawings that I had the notion to make into a mini comic. Years ago when I first started this project, I did what I could and waited for my tools and know-how to catch up with me. This is a dicey thing to do because this often means that a given project would not get done.


My journey has not been unique. I was a writer for years. I had made the decision to be a writer. I sought education to do. I practiced and practiced and in many ways, I'm still practicing. It was no different when I wanted to be a photographer and later a graphic designer.


When I first conceived of Dérangé Désir, it was a comic. I wanted to draw a comic about two people who decided to run away and hideout in the desert. I have no recollection of why I wanted to do this. I made a series of drawings that were not much more than doodles and then I put them into a folder and forgot about them.


What I conceived for the project was inspired by a zine series I did during my last semester at Front Range. I made 8 issues, each with eight panels. During the process, I had to follow the criteria of the assignment. I used Illustrator. So when it came to Dérangé Désir, I decided that I wanted to render my drawings digitally and manipulate them with Illustrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment