Wednesday, December 12, 2018

2018 nanowrimo reflections of a creative challenge: My Prep

NaNoWriMo
NaNoWriMo


When it came to the writing of my November novel, Lovejoy, I did not make one single plan. I did not even think about it until the writing began. I had a character. I had one scene in mind, and that was it.



I had one character from another novel Undertakers of Rain. Undertakers of Rain was written in 2009, early 2010, maybe. It was published and had a five year run with my now defunct publisher. In this novel, I had a minor character named Sophie who had a brief fling with one of the main characters. But the main characters showed up in my 2017 nanowrimo manuscript, The Second Door. In short, I have a number of novels that take place in my imaginary northwest Portland neighborhood.



When I chose the Sophie character it was really because I knew I could rewrite the scene I had already written from her point of view. I also knew that Sophie had been through a bunch of life before she met John in Undertakers of Rain. In an essence, Lovejoy was my chance at writing her back story.

But that's all I had going into it. That was all I needed. I had my time, my locale, and my character. What more did I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment