Wednesday, October 3, 2018

A Call to Arms, 2018

I'm not going to lie, it takes all I have to get through the summers in Colorado. There are few things I like about the summers anyway. I like warm nights. Yeah, that's about it, I like warm nights. I'm afraid I have to put all of my energy into getting through the summer.

In a few ways, this last summer was different. I did a TELF/TESOL/TESL certification course in June, which was pretty cool. I participated in two creative challenges: Camp NaNoWriMo and SoFoBoMo which took my mind off of things like the heat and the crowds and the jackassery I deal with at work.

But traditionally speaking, I get nothing done in the summer accept sweat and booze and a shady places to hide.

However, the autumn is, at least generally speaking, a prolific time for me. I don't really know why. It could be a “for every season” sort of thing. It is a time of doing, who knows?


The one thought is that we are trained from a young age to get serious in the autumn because that's when school starts. A new school year really is like a new beginning. Are we trained to be better workers in the fall because we've treated the summers as a time of vacation and fun?

Yet, I believe that each of us has a season. I feel like each of us has a time of day too. I know that the shorter days of October and November are good for me, but some people may be more motivated and inspired on summer evenings or winter nights.

If you're anything like me and this is your season, take full advantage of it. Make this autumn more prolific than ever. As an old restaurant workers say, “when it's sunny, make hay.” The implication, of course is that when it's time to do something, you just have to do it. If it's waiting tables or tending bar, you make money and save it for the times when it's not so sunny. I feel like that's also true for creative endeavors. When you have the time, space and inspiration, it's just when you do it, whatever it is.

So, my call to arms, this year 2018 autumn of, start writing or making music or art or whatever. If this is your season, it's time to go and do it.

If this is not your season, that's okay too. If this is not your season, not your day, do not despair. Know too that your time to make hay will come.

In the meantime, I feel like it's time to create. It's time to make art. I think 7.5 billion of us should be doing it. We should be doing it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment