Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Report from Camp NaNoWriMo: on day 13 I completed the Challenge




Winner 2018 - Facebook CoverThe Camp NaNoWriMo program spans the thirty days of April and the thirty one days of July. And of course, these are extensions of the original NaNoWriMo which takes place in November. There are thirty days in each month.

I absolutely love this creative challenge. I think the organization is well developed, helpful and the mission to get people to write is worthy and I wish more people joined up. I do not believe in all nonprofit organizations. I do not freely give money or time to many nonprofits either. NaNoWriMo, however, I believe in fully, and whereas I do not have any time to donate to the organization, I did donate money each time I've participated. I think every writer who participates, it's a good idea to give a little back.


On the thirteenth of July, I completed my novel. And as the story was winding down in the final days, I knew it was not going to be much longer than the 44,000 word goal. In fact I exceeded the goal by 754 words.

The way both Camp NaNoWriMo and NaNoWriMo work is this: you sign up. Your create your project and profile. Then when the writing begins, there is a tracking graph which will update when you input your word count. Starting on the twentieth of the month “winning” begins. Winning simply means that you must validate your word count. If there is more than 50,000 words, you win.

It is a sense of accomplishment, that's for sure. And I think that it is a very attainable goal, writing a 50,000 word story in 30 days. I don't think it requires any training, just the willingness to commit to a process. I don't think it takes any great effort either, just the hours writing.

And as I said, I think everyone should do it.

For me, I'll see you all in November.

No comments:

Post a Comment