Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Land of Laughs

I was hardly able to focus. The slow-slow start, oh the S-L-O-W start. It took until page 99 for anything to happen.

The question remains, why wait for page 99? Or why read to page 99 in a 250 page book without shelving it?

Land of Laughs was gifted to me. The book was gifted to me by a good friend and lifelong penpal, Freesia. She also reads a great deal and I trust her taste in books. So, I kept reading.

Once the kid eating the pistachio ice cream cone at eight in the morning walked out into the street and got run over, well, the story got interesting.

What became interesting was not the narrator who is a high school English teacher turned biographer. Nor s it the two girlfriends the narrator begins to juggle.

What I found interesting was how the psychosis develops. How the comical turned the surreal then turned to horror.

The story ultimately became eerie.

Carroll, Jonathan. The Land of Laughs. Tom Doherty Associates, New York: 1980.

No comments:

Post a Comment