Monday, April 9, 2012

Sown and Sewn: Part VI Recovering a Lay-off

April is upon us. March came and went.  February, although an extra day long this year, went by super fast.  And still, here I am working on The Errors of Fabric.  And to be honest, I haven't done much work on it since my return from Denver circa February 20th.  One might say I've had a lay-off.
The last five or six weeks have not been without writing, thinking about writing or the act of doing what I do.  In fact, nothing can be further from the truth.  I completed a few short stories to make up The Perils of Reading collection.  I have no real reason for collecting up stories into a group like that, it's just fun.  A collection of short stories for me is the collection of common themes and the close proximity of when they were written in a 50,000 work size manuscript.  Additionally, I wrote another chapbook: "The Befuddled Seahorse." Its inspiration was a small book like a baseball annual or an opera libretto.  Whatever, it was 50 pages of story, and it was fun to write.  I've kept to my weekly posts here, and my schedule at Sophia Ballou.  I have been writing.  And The Errors of Fabric?  Well, it has been getting weekly additions, although small.

I feel like I warned everyone about this.  It's a warning in The Novel, Guerrilla Style series, and I warned about it before my Denver trip.  I warned about the lay-off.  I consider a lay-off a group of days too many to count with no work on a project.  Too many of these days and getting back to work is difficult.  If way too many days go by, then it's near impossible to reconvene.  I'm in no danger of the latter, after all it's been slow progress for the last month and half rather than a full lay-off.
Well, what do you think?  Can  a novel manuscript survive a lay-off.  Only you can tell.  It is harder to get back into the groove once a lay-off occurs, this I know.  I knew back in October (or was it in September) 2011 when I began this piece I knew it would take a long time.  I just didn't think it would go on this long.
So how to get back into it?  Keep working.  One day it will get easier than the last, and when that happens, hope the trend continues.  All you have to do is write it down.  And that said: all I have to do is finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment