Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Noise part 2 & Conclusion

I lost that first digital camera in a burglary. Perhaps the loss of that first digital camera was karma for the first 35MM camera. Let's be clear, the acquisition of the 35MM camera was suspect, yes, but I did not steal the camera. I came to it honestly, but the person I got it from did not. At any rate, I had lost that first digital camera.

My father, feeling bad about the burglary gifted me a new digital camera, and I still use it to this day. And this camera has brought me more joy than just about anything else.

This particular camera, a Casio xs-10, does pretty well. And up until I got back to Oregon in late 2010, I used this camera like all my other cameras and took pictures of everything. The difference was this, I used this camera for nighttime photography.

So much of my life had been happening during the night, and so much of my photography depended on the day. Now, suddenly, I no longer needed the sun for taking pictures.

I took the camera with me at night, and I recorded bars and roads and cities in startling reality complete with noise. And I was happy.

I also took to writing during the day, the mornings. And by this time, by 2010, I had become the writer I wanted to be and I became the photographer I wanted to be. Alone in the morning with pallid filtered daylight and alone at night with a camera.


Thank you for taking the time to read this series. I wrote these posts in late October as I was preparing for National Novel Writing Month. My preparation was mostly seeing how fast I could write something somewhat coherent. Traditionally, a blogpost takes me about 90 minutes to 2 hours. I wrote this entire series in one hour 15. Not being used to this speed, or this type of writing, it was a refreshing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment