Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Process Letter G4-3

Contents:
Annotation 7: The Member of the Wedding
Annotation 8: The Bear
The General Bibliography
The Annotated Bibliography
Course Equivalents


Dear John,

I find it amazing how the subconscious can juxtapose the damnedest things. I spent last night at my girlfriend's place, and although this happens a few times a week, I always have the strangest dreams. She lives on the fifth floor of a high rise above 13th Ave which is a busy one street going into downtown. She leaves the door open at night, so the ambient sounds of the city come in. This is pleasant at night, but the morning traffic is so invasive, that I wonder how healthy it is? By comparison, my house is in a quiet residential neighborhood, and when here, we wake up to the sounds of birds and crickets. Anyhow, while still asleep, the sound of traffic was invading my dream in an odd way. The dream was the worst kind. Occasionally, I dream I'm in the military again. Although I reflect on my experience with a sort of bitter-sweet fondness, these military dreams are horrifying. It's like I'm the man I am today and I'm stuck being in the Army, and the fear of this is simply that I don't want to be there. So, in this Army dream, the dorms at Goddard where like military barracks, and you and our advising group were a squad on our way to graduation. I was panicked because I was not prepared for whatever it was we were supposed to do. The panic worsened as I was shuffling through papers trying to find what it was I needed to do. The sound of the shuffling papers was so loud that I was getting more and more stressed about the activity. As I woke up in a freight, the sound of the traffic five floors down proved to be the same sound as the shuffling of papers. I realize that so much of the horror of a dream is lost in the telling that the recount here seems silly. Janice was in the kitchen, nearly ready to leave for work when I charged through looking for my notebook. I had this horrible fear that I missed a deadline- the deadline for this packet. Needless to say, it's already been an intense day. As I write this letter, the sense of urgency has subsided somewhat, but I'm still feeling kind of funny.

Life in Denver is getting more and more frustrating. If I let my mind wander outside of Denver, I realize life everywhere is frustrating. Can you believe the climate of the country right now? These last few weeks have been unbelievable, haven't they? The political, economic and well-being of the country, as crazy as it sounds, has been on my mind in recent weeks. Business has slowed down somewhat, my house still hasn't sold, nor do I think it will any time soon. And the looks on people's faces as I wander the streets of Denver are dreadful. Last Sunday night I went to the PS Lounge, a Greek bar on East Colfax, for a drink. Knowing my tendency with gin, I opted to bring only ten dollars which is a rough translation of two gins and a tip. The bar was empty, there were two Russians in a booth shouting at one another in their own tongue. At the bar, Pete, the old Greek who owns the place was talking to the bartender. I've never seen the place with an equal number of patrons to workers. I waved to Pete when I sat down. “Hello Thin man,” he said. He calls me this because of the years I ran a bar called the Thinman. As I settled into the first G & T he came over to sit with me. We talked about the good times. He recounted the forty years of the PS Lounge. He kept buying me drinks. The Russians were behind us, their conversation reaching fortissimo. I kept wondering, how are things going to continue here in town? Economic ruin is one thing, loss of morale is something else, but why does it have to happen in the Autumn? Things are so much more grim as the threat of winter approaches. And that's when it occurred to me, it's time to dig-in for wintertime. An economic winter, what a thought, right? Well, as midnight approached the PS Lounge, I left. The cool walk home through the neighborhoods, city park and the golf course would be a quiet and welcomed treat. There were no cars on the street, no people walking, and I didn't see a single prostitute on Colfax. The sheer abandonment of town was something I'd never seen before, not even during the wild snow storms of March. Has the mood here changed that drastically, or is it my perception of things? Well, John, what do you think? Are you noticing similar things in Norfolk?

In other Denver news, I've stayed quite busy. I'm going to be interviewing filmmakers, and audience members at the second annual G.I. Joe film festival on October 9th. This film festival is so weird. It's stop-motion animation with those little G.I. Joe dolls. Check it out at www.gijoefest.com, you'll agree, it's weird. I know the producers of the festival, and it is a great honor to work with them. I guess the interviews are part of a documentary to help them promote the festival. I got a sneak peak last weekend, and it is exciting. Oh, and Saturday I got a hard copy of “The Speer Bridge” which was a short (7 minutes) film I acted in last May. If you're interested in seeing it, I'll figure out a way to put it on the Internet. “The Speer Bridge” is the third film I've been in, and I can say the finished product is much more interesting than the process. It's probably an ego thing with me, I like to see the finished product, but I think the work is so boring. During this project, I wasn't even close to being off book when I showed up for the first shoot. The scenes are done again and again and again and again, well, you get the idea- it's boring. This short is pretty cool, the director did a good job.

Well, down to business, I send you packet three with great excitement. All these odds and ends were pretty easy to accomplish once I got started. The bibliographies, as I stated in my Process Paper, would have been more beneficial had I done them at the end of each semester. Likewise, the same is true for the course equivalents. I am grateful to have these things as a requirement for the program. Having these finished at the end of the program, it really gives me a sense of accomplishment which is something I value. Additionally, I have the last two annotations included. There isn't much I want to say about them.

Work on my manuscript is going well. I did look up Aisling, you were right, I had that misspelled. Aisling means dream, which I knew, but what I didn't know is that it is a relatively new name. You and Jeanne differed on one major point. Your thoughts on Aisling were very different than those of Jeanne's. Jeanne thinks the major relationship in the story is that between Carmichael and Frau Gernhert, rather than the Carmichael and Aisling. Needless to say, that has been a difficult thing to think about. I'm starting to think more about Frau Gernhert, and those thoughts are helping me out. I'm pleased with the focus on her character and that relationship. I've had a great mode of work too. I realized today after the fear of the dream was wearing off that I have only three weeks left to work on this before submission. What a thought that is. I'm pleased with my work habits, and I'm pleased with the project too. I suppose if I'm honest, I'm pleased that it is almost complete, and my, how fast the time goes.


Well, until next time John, be well. I look forward to your response. 

No comments:

Post a Comment