Friday, March 23, 2007

Process Paper G1-3/Goddard

rimarily thank you for your time on the telephone last week. I must admit I felt a great deal relieved and rejuvenated after our conversation. It also enjoyed the comments on my work in the return packet. I have gotten over some hurtles during the work on packet number three. Rewriting has proved to be more exciting than I would have thought. It is still a challenge as I am sure it will continue to be. However, I am quite pleased with the results.

Change number one in my mode of work this go around, I spent more time with the notebook and pen, and I only approached the computer when I was ready to clean things up a bit. I think there must be something a little more tactile about the old system, and although I want to be more high-tech and savvy in this modern age, there is something more comforting in sitting under a tree with the notebook. Yes, I have taken to sitting under trees as spring is moving along here with alarming force, the winter is over.

Thank you for accepting the Huxley and the Johnson annotation. Having at least two of them under my belt made the task of rewriting tolerable. More tolerable? Actually, it made the task enjoyable. My confidence in these critical pieces is building, as well as the confidence in myself.

The annotations: I took what you’ve said both in comments and in our conversation very seriously. For the first time since this process has begun, I feel like I’m getting a grasp on it. What’s more, I’m really looking forward to doing more of them. The revision of the Dickey annotation was tough to get started. I read the book before I left Vermont, so there were many things clouding my memory. After a few days of rereading the text as well as my first draft, I decided to simplify. After cut much of the fat it became easier to see my thoughts, and as a surprise to me, easier to see my thoughts on the page.

Zamyatin and the colors of We went as smoothly. The other annotation, the Book of Ecclesiastes I just tried to have fun with it. I hope you have fun with it too. This book, although mired deep in old language and biblical mumbo jumbo was enjoyable to read, and even a little funny. As I have indicated in the second title of my annotation, I’m grateful to have read this book on a sunny day. Macabre stuff really, and I enjoyed it terribly.

As I’m looking at my reading list for the upcoming annotations, and after reading your response attachment, “Write Till You Drop” by Annie Dillard, I’ve decided to try something new. In the next line up, I’m planning to focus on the short stories on my list. Even looking at the Steinbeck story I realize so much is being said in short space. Since we’ve been discussing diction, and syntax and the like perhaps, a spell of micro-examination of sentences is in order here. I’m busy rethinking.

My creative work is moving along. I’m concerned about many of the things you’ve expressed concern. Yes, I think the structure is going to be an issue. Well, actually I know structure is an issue. It’s already an issue. Fortunately, in this installment you will be meeting the last character I plan to introduce. A stately older gentleman named Papa. Things are getting exciting, and I’m still trying to puzzle it together. The introduction of Papa although planned, is absolutely crucial. Aside from my narrator, he is the only other male in the story. He is also the only character who will not get deported or dead. What’s to come I think will be exciting. Currently, I have a small stack of handwritten vignettes, which will be requiring attention. My mode of work is to spend a little time on it everyday. This story is with me most of my day and even into the night. One night last week, I had such an amazing dream that stuck with me most of the day and it several hours later I realized its importance. I have a snapshot-type dream and it was in wild dream fashion the end of the story. So knowing now how it ends I don’t want to rush to get there too soon.

I’m considering the process already of the revision of this Omma Opus; however, I really want to finish the writing of this story first. I need plenty of guidance, but I don’t know what the specific of this guidance is just yet. I do appreciate having you as an audience with it, and please know I am taking all critics and suggestions seriously. At this point in the semester, I’m seeing the improbability of volume of the story. Do you think I should just keep on truckin’ with it, get it all down, and spend a subsequent semester in the revision? If that’s the case, we probably ought to take about extending our relationship into the next term… However, I’m probably getting ahead of myself.

The Annie Dillard attachment you sent struck a chord with me. I initially read it a couple of time shortly after our conversation on Friday, and I have since read it a third time. Great motivation, and written with confidence which I’m just now starting to understand. Jeez, it seems I’m very optimistic about the process today. Well, it is a sunny day.


I can’t think of anything else to address in this letter. In rehash, thank you again for the time and care, I believe the quality of my critical work is improving, and I am trusting in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment